Sunday, June 8, 2014

Module 6-1



This week's module focused on the social psychological foundations of music education.  It spoke quite extensively on conformity and its significance to the adolescent and the implications for the music educator. As a middle school choral director, I found this section most interesting. I always try to use conformity in recruiting and expanding my program. My teaching style is one that is fast paced, energetic, and rigorous. The pacing of my lessons are intended to foster student engagement and minimize classroom disturbances.  I always begin the school year with team-building activities and ice breakers and try to instill a sense of cooperation and homogony within the group.  In fact, I often refer to my ensemble as a team and often compare their work ethic in class to that of an athlete.  One way that I acknowledge hard working students is with a monthly award called the Star Student award.  This award is presented to the choral student who demonstrates good rehearsal etiquette, gives 100% during rehearsals, works cooperatively within their sections, and shows improvement in skill.  I make it clear that this award is not presented to the best singer or performer but instead focuses on the hard working music student.  I try to make our uniforms as teen and economically friendly as possible. In fact, for my spring concert the students wore jeans and a solid black top with black shoes.  This was partially due to the fact that as a new school we have not had enough time to fundraise for uniforms, however, this worked very well for the concert.  

When I go to recruit students for my program I always mention trips as an incentive.  I even tell them of the friendships gained through performing together with a group of people and then the excitement of  going on performance trips with those new friends.  For the sake of conformity, I usually hold off on the number of student assemblies we will do throughout the year until after their first couple of successful performances. Initially, I usually have to ease their apprehension about public performances in the beginning of the year.  Again, here I reference sporting teams.  I tell them of how baseball players practice hard everyday just like they do.  I then pose the question, "How weird would it be if the baseball team never had a game?"  To this they usually laugh and reply that they wouldn't feel good about practicing because they would not have a game to prepare for.  I then respond by encouraging them in their thoughts and asking, "...then why would we practice everyday in class and not have our 'game day'?  Our game day is our performance."  This usually helps to change their perspective on public performances. After they have experienced this type of success they are more motivated to put on an excellent show for their peers in school.  Lastly, I do try to incorporate a Pop piece at least once during the year.  It helps to have a sense of give and take in the classroom.  Although I have not specifically asked my students which Pop piece they would like to perform, I do keep up with the Billboard hits and usually choose a piece from the Top 20 to write an arrangement.

These strategies directly play-off of conformity in the middle school teaching situation and has brought me success.  I plan to continue with these strategies and add more throughout the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment